Total Pageviews

Saturday 14 January 2012

Winter Tanners 30 tomorrow

It will no doubt be a cold and frosty start tomorrow at the car park in Leatherhead. This is MY type of run....."tough event" as stated on the entry form, 3 checkpoints with limited drinks/biscuits and a set of directions, no marshals and no map!

The weather looks to be a -2 degree start, rising to a max of 4 degrees for the day. No matter. I was out running the XC Club Championships this afternoon. I was going to run parkrun this morning bu beat a hasty retreat to the duvet covers after turning the alarm off and having a lie in. Good job. I was nice and refreshed for Lloyd Park mud shenanigans this afternoon and after running to Richard's and cadging a lift, a quick warm up round the field and it was down to club vest and shorts for the 3rd Surrey League XC of the season.

I do feel like I should take it a bit easy so after going out about 30 seconds a mile too quick, I slowed to a comfortable pace and sought careful footing in the new trail shoes as there was a lot of ice about and some deeper mud too. Had I not been doing Tanners tomorrow, I would have gone hell for leather, but I wanted to conserve energy and prevent any soreness or stiffness. The hills were great as I caught up with runners and then drafted and overtook on the flat/downhill. The last 2 miles I did bomb it and managed a sub 7 and a 6.30, with an overall average of 7.12s.......4th overall in my club champs and 3rd in age category. However in the grand scheme of things, this was about 8 mins behind the overall winner.

So, I'm looking forward to an early night and a great opportunity to catch up with some old friends tomorrow at the Tanners.

1 comment:

  1. See you in the morning Rob, we are getting there at 7.00am ready to run at 7.30am
    http://ultramagicforest.blogspot.com/2012/01/stand-by-your-beds.html

    ReplyDelete