Total Pageviews

Sunday 29 January 2012

DPR Annual Awards and dinner

After a heavy week at work and also up to Nottingham for 2 days, getting the miles in was an onerous task. Here, there and everywhere. I jumped off the train from Nottingham on Saturday evening, having been suited and booted all day, raced across London with my case and so to pick up Mrs UB from a party later, picked up the car and whizzed to the DPR dinner and awards at Dulwich College.

The opulence of South London's finest independent school did the finely clad runners a good service. I arrived fashionably late so was treated to a microwaved version of the earlier dinner and a couple of large lemonades. I picked up a couple of medals for club championships; 3rd in the 1 mile and 3rd in the cross country. All was grand and it was great to see lycra and fluo-clad runners in dresses, tuxedos and the like.

A nice long lie in followed by hot cross buns and a long Colombian coffee and it was out to log some hilly morning miles. I took every route I could over the hills of the area; One Tree Hill, Canonbie Road (18% gradient!) Forest hill, Sydenham Hill and Crystal Palace. I'd not charged my Garmin for a week so whizzed home for a bit of food and then went out a bit later in the day, on a less hilly route out into Kent where I could gawp at houses that were just gargantuan, wondering how many millions each one cost. One day after a lottery win maybe.

I've developed a small but not insignificant niggle in my left knee which comes and goes but with logging 60+ miles a week, need to keep an eye on my intake of vitamins, minerals, omega 3s and fish oils. I'm going to have a micro-taper from Weds to Friday in preparation for the TT50 mile race on Saturday. No hotel booked, just an ultra-early start that will allow bacon butty quaffing time!

Tuesday is the last day of Janathon and I am pleased with the progress but feel that I might be about 15-20 miles short of the 300 miles that I decided that I might aim for. Not to worry as I was originally aiming for 200!

No comments:

Post a Comment