Total Pageviews

Saturday 19 November 2011

Long run is back

london bridge by ultraBobban
london bridge, a photo by ultraBobban on Flickr.

I felt a little bad as I missed the club champs 5k this morning, had a little sneaky extra lie in and then plenty of coffee and headed down to Greenwich. I can follow a small river and get to the Thames crossing only a couple of roads so amazingly traffic free for about 6 miles. Under the footbridge and out across the Isle of Dogs and Canary Wharf.

Despite a river wind, it was warm and I was over-hot in a merino wool top and short sleeve top. Running around Limehouse basin and along the Regents canal is never a dull run. I find the architecture, graffiti, wildlife and the constant dodging of cyclists, runners and walkers along the route. The only time I really run in the countryside is when I race, but urban squalour and deep-seated decay afe just the tonic for a loping strider through the byways of Hackney, Islington and Shoreditch.

I often read Jezza's blog and get jealous about the North Downs at dawn, but have to concede that my prep is far more low key; take a tenner and cash card. Start running. Luckily I never have to carry anything as I can just stop at a shop. Today I tasted for the first time, Cola Capri Sun. Amazing! A first for rehydration. Anyway I realised that the clock was ticking so I zipped along to Islington, then a Southerly turn towards the river again and back home.

A consideration of mine has been to remove my beard, something that has been growing for 5 days...however, it seems they are on a comeback. Shoreditch and Hoxton were awash with hirsute hommes.

Viva la long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment