Total Pageviews

Friday 5 February 2010

mindset

Researching for my MA seemed to resurface in a strange manner today (bearing in mind that I completed my MA in 2008) with a quote from Carole Dweck

Everyone has one of two basic mindsets. If you have the fixed mindset, you believe that your talents and abilities are set in stone – either you have them or you don’t. You must prove yourself over and over, trying to look smart and talented at all costs. This is the path of stagnation. If you have a growth mindset, however, you know that talents can be developed at that great abilities are built over time. This is the path of opportunity and success.

As an educationista, I thought this pertinent to my current state-of-mind. Alternatively, this is a solution to my fluid discussion of future events. On long running, I must believe that can run fast over short distances too. Tuesday; Handicap, 24 hours after sports massage, ran painfully but respectable 6.12s for the race and managed not to have much pain afterwards and since. opportunity for speed, which I never thought I had..... and only 14 seconds off my pb for that distance, and owing to hitherto multiple marathon committments and always running handicaps after marathons and ultras, have never considered myself a fast runner....now feel that I can grow towards running sub-6s later this year (btw I did this with a cold, but a much take-the-piss-out-of-by-my-running-club-so-called-mates shoes with shinylaces new pair of shoes that I tried out.)

Dweck-ite I am for the time being.....and also will see how a new pair of socks aid my new found fast-ness. Chances are they will not.....but I have moved from a stagnant to a grow position, just in the space of a day. DPR club champs XC tomorrow. Who knows what will hold?

No comments:

Post a Comment